Monday, February 06, 2006

Lunch at Taisha JH - 1


Lunch at Taisha JH - 1
Originally uploaded by Jason In Japan.

This is a decent meal for me - bread is good for filling me up and the bread is usually really tasty. They give a small packet of jam to eat with it since it's seen as a dessert item. So I always get some funny looks when I eat with my kids and I tear off pieces of bread and dip it into my soup or in the case of this meal my pea-soup-like stew.

Some deep-fried chicken nugget things and a slice of watermelon. As for the "salad" on the side, see the post below. An almost fish-free lunch day.

We never have rice and bread on the same day, even though bread is seen as a dessert most of the time. The good thing about bread too is that many of the kids don't like bread, so there is usually some left over, which the teachers can take home. With some Hokkaido cheese, they make tasty after-school snacks.

1 comment:

Emily K said...

"So I always get some funny looks when I eat with my kids and I tear off pieces of bread and dip it into my soup...."
I actually avoided doing this because I was afraid of just that reaction. (Stupid of me, I know.) But then I saw one of my JTEs do it. We rarely have condiments with our bread. I think for my schools it's seen as a replacement for rice. In Yokota, Tuesdays and Thursdays are "bread days." In Nita we have bread less often, but for whatever reason I haven't picked up on a "bread day" pattern nor lack thereof; I need to pay more attention.

"With some Hokkaido cheese, they make tasty after-school snacks."
You and I have very divergent ideas of "tasty." I have yet to eat any Japanese cheese that didn't taste like Kraft singles.