Thursday, July 28, 2005

studying Kanji

So I've decided to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) in December of this year. The test has 4 levels of difficulty with level 4 being the easiest and level 1 requiring near fluency to pass.

I'm going to take the level 3 test, because I want to push myself a little to study this year and really improve my Japanese.

One of the hardest parts of learning Japanese is getting used to reading the kanji - the pictograms that represent whole words or parts of words and make up the bulk of written Japanese. If you are new to the Japanese language and want to know more about what a kanji is, Click Here.


So I found this website that lists all the JLPT kanji I'll need for the level 3 test and even has a random test function so I can quiz myself.

Here is the link:
www.kanjisite.com

It's a really good little site and I'm sure will be very helpful in the coming months as I study.

Curiously, altho they require knowledge of 80 basic kanji for the level 4 test, the level 3 test (which requires you to know 165 kanji) is not cumulative, as you'll only be tested on the 165 required for level 3. Luckily I know the 80 basic kanji from level 4 already, from my Japanese language courses at college, so I can simply concentrate on level 3.

Click Here for a direct link to the level 3 kanji.


If you're reading this and you have taken the JLPT before or have advice/tips about studying kanji, please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear what you know.

Here is a link to info on the JLPT.
And here is a LINK to specific info for this year's test, including the application process and deadline.


OK - I'm off to study. :)

-Jason

1 comment:

Kazzie said...

Hey Jason,
Thanks for your comment on my blog.I'm feeling alright. I guess it's just a transition point of my life. It 's frustrating, but I just have to get over it.
I'm not really good at kanji, and I'm afraid that I'm losing some of kanji since my stay in canada is long. But I hope you enjoy learning kanji.
Good Luck!
-kazzie