Friday, May 20, 2005

Star Wars Episode III

I'm sure I'd be in line for tickets right now if I was in the States today.

With the exception of Episode IV, which I didn't see until August of 1977, I've seen every other Star Wars movie on opening day.

I remember wanting so bad to see the first Star Wars when I was 7, but my parents were too busy to take me - we were getting ready to move the whole family from my boyhood home of Thousand Oaks, California to Dallas, TX.

I'll always remember the exact day we moved into our new house in Dallas - it was the same day that Elvis Presley died - August 16th, 1977. Later that month my parents finally took me and my older sister to see Star Wars (my brother was only 1 1/2 at the time). There was still a long line to get in, as movies played on way fewer screens back then and multi-plexes were still unusual. In fact, an usher came out and counted the people in line for the 8pm show and my family of four were the very last people to get in. It was so crowded that my sister and I had to sit apart from our parents. But any fears I had were soon replaced my the menace imposed by Darth Vader, and I was transported to another galaxy and into a fantastic world that I fell in love with.

You can read more about my favorite of the Star Wars films at a nifty new Shimane JET website that just launced by clicking Here or you can check out the site in general by going to www.shimanejets.org

This past week was also George Lucas' birthday, so Happy Birthday Mr. Lucas. Say what you will, but the man created THE modern mythology of our time. Got to meet him a few times - decent guy.

May The Force Be With You.
-Jason

1 comment:

Emily K said...

What, you met George Lucas? A few times??

Everybody's got connections in California.