Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Mr. Rogers

My friend Zach had a link to this 7 minute clip on YouTube and I'm so glad I saw it.

The clip is of Mr. Rogers - a famous American host of children's programming on TV. He's testifying before a senate subcommitee in 1969 (the year I was born) to try and secure funding for what would become PBS - Public Broadcasting - a TV channel in the states with no commercials that shows almost entirely educational programming such as Mr. Rogers Neighboorhood and Sesame Street.

I grew up on these two shows in the 1970s. I have distinct memories of coming home from kindergarten at around noon most days and plopping down on the floor in front of the TV to eat my cheese sandwich and watch an hour of Mr Rogers and Sesame Street. I LOVED these shows.

Watching the clip made me remember how reassuring Mr Rogers and his show were. I know he passed away recently, but I hope his legacy lives on and similar shows on PBS are airing for this and future generations.

After I finished watching the clip I caught myself crying - just out of nowhere welling up. I think I got so emotional because of childhood memories, but mostly I think it was because Mr. Rogers was such a decent guy - I think about how he dedicated his life to making children he never met feel loved and cared for and that is such a special and rare thing. Plus - I'm just a big softie about certain things.

Bring around so many young kids at my 5 elementary schools these past two years has really made it clear to me how important it is to let kids that age know how special they are and how much they can achieve if they work hard and try their best.

Anyway, watch the clip if you have time, and thanx to Zach for the link.

-JCH

1 comment:

Emily K said...

It was the song....