Sunday, May 28, 2006

Welcome to new readers!

Hello All,

I just got back from Kobe, where I attended the JET conference for recontracting ALTs.

I had to present a workshop on using Audio & Visual Aids in class. By all accounts it went pretty well - both my workshops were well attended and audience reaction was very positive.

I was able to recommend some of the tools I use to keep my classes interesting and I was also able to plug the new Shimane ALT produced DVD made by the San In Film Project.

So I want to say "Hello" and "Welcome" to any new readers who may have found my little corner of the internet after attending one of the workshops in Kobe.
I was really very appreciative of all the feedback I got - many ALTs came up to me and said how much they enjoyed my presentation or even more important that they liked one or two of my ideas and hope to use them in their own classes.

For those that did attend, here is a list of some of the songs I've used in The Lyrics Game that have worked well:

The Wind by Cat Stevens
For You by Duncan Sheik
Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley
What a Wonderful World by Sam Cooke


All are short with little repeats and are clear and easy to understand.

Also, I can't recommend enough subscribing to the Daily Yomiuri. I use it in my classes all the time to play the newspaper game - a popular & fun activity in my schools. And of course to decorate my class rooms, as mentioned in my workshops. I also like to do the crossword, but be warned it's rather American-centric. :)

Click Here for a special offer from JET Set on subscribing. It's worth the money.

I also realized that in the first session (#2) I mentioned the Whose watch is this? game, but didn't mention Romaji Bingo and vice versa in the afternoon session (#5). If you want to know more about either of these games or anything else in the presentation, feel free to email me.

Thanx again for all the great feedback and I'm so glad so many of you got something good out of the workshops.
Good luck with your teaching and post a comment or send me an email and let me know how your classes are going.

Cheers,
Jason H.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

This is a long time in coming, but I just wanted to say thanks for the excellent presentation in May. I think it says a lot that I still remember it and am now (6 months later)looking up some of the info to use in my eikaiwa class! :)
Best,
Christine in Tokushima

Jason H. said...

Hey Christine -

So glad I could help - and I'm glad you're doing well in Tokushima. Gonna stick around for a third year?

Comments like yours mean a lot - I really appreciate the feedback!

Take care,
Jason